Saturday, January 10, 2009


How long can u see her smiling
When you see that the road that she is treading
Is a dark drooping alley
That she soon would fade and will mingle in the dust of obscurity
She soon will forget to smile
And soon she would look back
With emptiness

How long can you?
Wondered my heart and then I saw her smile again
Saw the life brimming at her lips
Her eyes bubbling out the joy
Her cheers just rejuvenating even the slightest slumber


And then I asked myself
Was I wrong in what I perceived?
‘cause life was what mattered to her
And to live in present was her forte
Tomorrow as said was an unsolved mystery
She seemed least interested in
And then I shifted and blinked

I let my lips stretch and she said
Laughing all the way round
“love you!” and so did my heart.


P.S. the picture was taken for a different purpose, for a different piece of writing but finally it scribbled this way.

a little girl whose name i forgot soon after meeting her and sharing some laughters, but her pictures reminded me of her and so strange are the ways sometimes that soon after certain things you read something that leaves you stirred, i hope you might too see something in these lines

"it's a terrible thing to know that you gon be poor all yuh life, no matter how hard you work. you does stop trying after a time. people does see you so and call you lazy. but it ain laziness. it just that you just give up. you does kind of die inside...".......lines fom the novel, 'Brown Girl, Brownstones', by Paule Marshall

i just wish the little girl never give up.:)

1 comment:

  1. beautiful amd touching poem with a very important message attached. yes life is to live at present after all who knows kal ho na ho.

    it reminded me of a poem i wrote long back.

    i so wish the same for that girl and for each one of us.

    keep penning riddhima. :)

    ReplyDelete